Table For One, Please. . .

I am single. At this moment, I don't have any prospects that could change that fact. In the last few years, I've seen many of my peers enter into happy and loving marriages. In the next two months, I'll be invovled in two weddings both of which I'll see a close friend get married. I continue to watch as many of my peers and friends enter into loving relationships. I stay single with no forthcoming prospects. Instead, I'm greeted with sympathy and advice. I get to hear the lovely lines of, "You'll find the most amazing girl one day" or "God will provide you with a wonderful women, you just have to wait for his timing." People will let me know that everything will work out in the end. It's almost as if they feel I have some kind of dastardly sickness and they all hope I'll soon be cured. I've got some news for all those people.

I'm happy. Correct that, I'm extremely happy. I am a happily, single man. I'm enjoying my life. I'm enjoying the fact that I have the freedom to go almost anywhere I want. I only have to worry about making decisions for myself and not a second party. I love the fact that I can have a good friendship with a girl without worrying that it will make someone jealous. If I wasn't single than I probably wouldn't have been able to do LDP. If I wasn't single, than my options for things to do this year may be limited. As it is, I can choose to go out west, or to work on a cruise line or completely leave the country -- I wouldn't have to worry about leaving someone behind. I only have to worry about financing myself which is enough of a headache. Being single is keeping various doors open for my life and I am loving every minute of it. I get the freedom of meeting people and making new friends -- which for an extrovert is a jackpot.

I'm not saying that I am not interested in being in a relationship. I want to be married some day. I would love to be in a close and loving relationship with that special person. I even think that I'm ready for a meaningful relationship right now.

Here's the catch, I'm picky. I'm getting too old to casually date -- not that I was ever into that. At this point, if I am dating someone than it is because I'm very interesting in seeing if this person can be my future wife. I want my future wife to be my very best friend (sorry, it has to be a girl). I want this girl to be somebody that I can completely trust and totally be honest with. I want this girl to be able to stretch me and I can stretch them. I want to be completely and totally in love with this person. Afterall, if I'm going to spend the rest of my life with them than I should like them.

I know that anything meaningful takes a lot of work. I know that even the best person I find there is going to be hard times. Growing up, I've been spoiled with two parents that have always been madly in love with each other. I'm not going to settle for anything else. I will only be in a relationship if it is completely centred on God, Love and trust. Otherwise, I choose to be single. I hope that if I happen to be single at the age of 45, I will still refuse to settle for anything less than this.

I want to encourage all the other single people out there to be picky too. To make sure that you are in a relationship with someone who is/will be your best friend. Afterall, being single isn't all that bad.

Comments