An Awesome Quote Comparing Twilight and Harry Potter, Plus My Own Thoughts

"Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity… Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend."

From what I've been able to find, this was initially a quote from someone named Robin Browne who unleashed a rant after trying to read through Twilight. It then was quoted by Andrew Futral who is apparently in an indie band stationed in New York. I never heard of any of these people until I stumbled upon this quote that was credited to Stephen King. When I decided to do the research to discover when he made this quote, I discovered that he never did, but it was these people instead.

I can understand why people would want to turn it into a King quote. King is one of the most recognized authors of this generation and so his words about literature carry more weight than two people that most have never heard of. It is sort of like me writing something brilliant, but in order for it to have more cred, someone attributes it to Ernest Hemmingway (he has lots to say about The Walking Dead). I don't think many people ever bothered with questioning if King said it, because he is well known for detesting Twilight and this is the kind of witty and funny statement we'd expect from King.

He didn't say it. I think it is just as funny and appropriate and fitting to put up here, when it comes from someone that I've never heard about and will likely forget the name of before dinner time.

Now, I haven't read an entire novel from the Twilight series. I tried reading the first, but after twenty pages, I realized I didn't like the feeling of my soul being sucked out by a poorly written novel. If my life remains to be semi kind to me, I'll never have to finish that novel or ever read another in that series.

I have been reading the Harry Potter series. I can't believe it has taken me this many years to fall in love with one of the greatest fantasy series ever written. The series is so rich and created such an engrossing world. I've fallen in love with these characters, and I give a damn about what happens to them. Rowling writing strengthens after each novel, and I've loved the next book more than the previous. It is considered a children's series, but you can see why it has grab the attention of so many adults. It has the magic and adventure that appeal to kids, but it also has a rich story and deals with deeper themes that will engage adults. I'm just ashamed it took me so long to realize what a landmark series this is, and to finally recognize this is a massive jewel in current pop culture that will take its place with other classic works of fantasy.

I'm now ready to read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I'm still just trying to catch my breath after the awesome thrill ride that was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The novel contained all the adventure and thrills that captured my imagination as a child. It also delivered some chapters that were some of the scariest and most disturbing scenes that I've read. The novel has grabbed every emotion I can think of and has stirred up feelings that most adult novel could only wish to achieve.

The series has done a great job in addressing important themes too. Several of the books have tackled the issue of prejudice and racism. It hasn't done it in a preachy way, but rather woven it into the story and made it a stronger book. It allows you to look at the issue in a new perspective since it incorporates fantasy creatures and a world of magic users and non-magic users. There is a clear divide in the types of characters, and the novels explore ways to deal with some of the obvious prejudice that can seep through.

I am also impressed a children's novel is willing to address the matter of questioning authority. There has been key storylines where it becomes clear those in authority may not be trusted or not necessarily have the best interest of the public in mind. It also addresses the need to question and not believe everything you read or are told. These are important things to tell a kid. It is good to encourage a kid's independence, and to let them know they have the power to choose their destiny. I am sure there have been children's books that have addressed similar themes, but Harry Potter series has made it one of the stronger themes that have followed through the entire series.

I'm still three books away from completing the series. Since I waited so long, I do know how some of the tale turns out and what happens to some of the characters. It is hard to stay uninformed about a series that captured the imagination of so many people. Despite of spoilers, I am engrossed in this series and so happy I finally gave it a shot.

Harry Potter is a magnificent work that has significantly contributed to literature and pop culture. Twilight will likely be something that people will look back on in ten years and say, "Really? People willingly paid money for this?"

Comments