4 Years Ago. . .


I married the most beautiful and stunning woman in the entire universe.  On that day, I also aired a goofy video about trying to find my best man, performed a Footloose fueled first dance, and got Emily to enter our reception to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin's theme song.   The fact that my wife not only allowed me to do such things on our wedding day, but actually encouraged them, shows just what an amazing catch I snagged four years ago.

I don't believe that there is a "one".  The romantic notion that there is one special person out there meant for you and that no one else would ever properly fit is just something that sounds nice in movies and novels.  I don't believe it was destiny or fate that put us together.  I may say such things in a poem or blurt it out when I'm attempting to be romantic, but it doesn't seem to fit the reality I live in.  Despite not believing that Emily is the person I was always destined to marry, I am eternally thankful that I did marry her.  I am the luckiest man in the world to have been able to convince Emily that she should spend the rest of her life with a goof like me.  I wake up every day with a sigh of relief that this marriage isn't a dream, and that I really do have a partner who is so well suited for me.

She is beautiful.  She is funny.  She is smart.  She is compassionate.  She is a million other things that make her the love of my life and my very best friend.  I love her.  But you probably got that impression already.

She puts up with my goofiness.  More importantly, she often will encourage or laugh at it.  My dad always said that you know you've found your wife when the woman laughs at all your jokes.  I get that.  Sure a few may be sympathy laughs, but I'll take what I can get.

I also have moments where I can be a pain in the ass to live with.  I can be the stereotypical moody and broody artsy type, and also play a melodramatic rather well too.  She knows how to deal with that.  She also knows how to deal with my random bouts of insecurity and doubt.  She knows that sometimes I just need some encouragement, but also knows that sometimes I need a thunderous kick in the butt.  She does both really well.

I'm a full time writer, because my wife believes in me.  I can't imagine not having a partner that doesn't fully and honestly believe in you.  She knows that I am going to be a success.  She reminds me of this fact on a regular basis.  I took the plunge into full time writing, because my wife gave me her 100% support.  She knew that it was what I loved, and what I really wanted to do.  The most important part is that she really believed that I would succeed.  She is more confident that I'll publish books and write for major consumer magazines than I am.  One of the most priceless things in the world is having a partner that believes in your dreams.  My wife's belief is what drives me every day, and I attribute my success to her constant support.

It has been an amazing 4 years.  I'm looking forward to 50 more.  It has been an unbelievable adventure, and I'm glad I've been able to spend it with the most remarkable person that I'll ever know.

I love you, Emily.  Happy 4 year anniversary, Beautiful.

Comments