I Love This!

Long Live the King; Get Better Soon, Jerry Lawler

I haven't watched an episode of Raw since they decided to have John Cena beat Brock Lesnar, and then pair Cena up against a retired career midcarder who once walked around with a skateboard he never knew how to use.  It didn't cross my mind to watch Raw last night, even though it was apparently Bret Hart's first return to Montreal since the infamous screw job in 1997.  I don't know if they did anything interesting with Hart, but apparently, something pretty big happened on Raw.

Unfortunately, it wasn't scripted.

Jerry "The King" Lawler, Raw color commentator and Memphis wrestling legend, collapsed during the telecast and may have had a heart attack.  At this point, it seems like he is recovering, but he is still in the hospital.

Lawler has been a Raw staple for almost the shows entire run since 1993, but he has had a few breaks through the years where he wasn't behind the desk.  Lawler was the commentator during WWE's Monday Night glory years of 1997-2000, and hasn't missed too many shows since he returned at the end of 2001.  Lawler is a legendary wrestler in Memphis, and has "beaten" some of the biggest legends in wrestling, but the modern audience know him as the "comic" voice of Raw.

I do want to add that the article I linked to seem to believe Lawler actually fractured Andy Kaufman's neck back in 1982.  I'm pretty sure it was all staged, just like everything that happened between Lawler and Kaufman.  His altercation with Kaufman on Letterman is one of the biggest mainstream moments in wrestling history, or at least, it was before the WWF's big boom with Hulk Hogan, Mr. T and Cyndi Lauper in 1984.

Lawler is one of the greatest talkers in wrestling history.  He is probably the most successful wrestler to turn announcer.  I hope his collapse doesn't turn out to be serious.  I want to send Lawler my best wishes.  I have many fond memories of you, and I know you're a real fighter.  My thoughts are with you today, King.

Comments